Skye Ladder - 9th August 2012

Session times: 8pm-11:30pm

I decided this time to try live streaming the session.  Fortunately, Janie & Paul were up for it.  I had set up my laptop so its webcam covered most of the live room and off we went.  Janie put the link on her Facebook page, and I'd put it on North West Bands.

Million

It became apparent after the last session that there were a few faint pops during the first verse and chorus on the vocal track.  Normally, you wouldn't be able to hear these with bass/drums/guitar etc, but this track is almost all just piano and vocal, so the pops were noticeable (well I could hear them anyway).  After a few warm-ups we got the take fairly quickly.

Respect

The demo for this song was one of the first I'd heard from Skye Ladder and although it was about 6 months ago, we hadn't actually attempted recording this track.  We tried for the best part of an hour,  trying different styles and sounds but nothing really worked.  We decided it was best to move on and try a song we had more of an idea about.

Can't Buy Dreams

I hadn't heard this track before, so Janie sang whilst Paul played his acoustic guitar.  Paul had written lyrics for a chorus, bridge and verse, but I thought the chorus should be a verse and the chorus and bridge me merged, so I set about recording the parts as I could hear them in my head.  After about an hour, I'd done a guitar, bass, organ and drum parts and Paul had written some more verses which Janie sang.  The song ended up nearly 8 minutes long and very anthemic.  It's really only in a demo form, so we'll have to re-record all the parts properly at a different session after we've had a good listen.  I sort of took over this song, but I think they like the end result.



By the end of the session, the streaming web site said we had had 20 viewers, but I don't think they watched all the way through. I email a rough mix of Can't Buy Dreams and we ended the session around 11:30pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment